Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner: Huevos de Julie


They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Of course, they say a lot of things. All I know is they better stop talking smack about me or they is going to get hurt.

My wife and I sometimes like to have breakfast for dinner. That’s because we’re rebels and we do what we want. This is a dish she likes to make for us during the week because it’s simple and doesn’t take a lot of time. 

Being the considerate bastard that I am, I decided to share it with you. Every dish needs a name and I’ve christened this one Huevos de Julie. And yes, my wife’s name is Julie. I didn’t just grab the name out of thin air. Her parents did that. 

Anyway, let’s get started, shall we?

Fry some tortillas in a frying pan with oil. Depending on our mood, and what’s in our fridge, we use the taco size or the fajita size. This particular time we used the fajita size. Once you’ve fried your tortillas, put them on a paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.

If you want to really be crazy, you can set some aside, throw some cinnamon sugar on those bad boys and now you also have dessert. This meal’s all kinds of economical, isn’t it?

Fry up a tortilla. This one's fajita size, cause that's how we roll.


Chillin' sunny side up. Well, frying sunny side up.

Fry an egg sunny side up. If you’re using the fajita size tortillas, you may want to fry two. Or not. What do I care? It’s your life. Season them with salt and pepper. Spread refried black beans on the tortilla (you could also use refried pinto beans).




This poor bastard decided he wasn't going into the frying pan and jumped into the sink. Mad props for going out on your own terms, my man.




Top it with the eggs. Put on your favorite salsa, a dollop of sour cream, and top it off with shredded cheddar and—ka-ching!—you just bought yourself a ticket on the Delish Express to Yum-Yum Town.

You know you want it.

Didn’t I tell you it was easy? Sometimes my wife and I will also add chorizo. But you don’t have to do that. You could add bacon, ham, or veggies. You could even have this at breakfast. Or lunch. Hey, I’m not the boss of you. Do whatever you want.


Sometimes having breakfast for dinner just feels naughty. There are times I’ll be eating and wonder if it still counts as the most important meal of the day if you're eating it in the P.M. Then a voice inside my head tells me to stop worrying so much and just shut up and eat. 

So I stop worrying about the whole breakfast dilemma and worry about the fact I’m hearing voices instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment