Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Eggslut

I'm a big fan of breakfast sandwiches and I kept hearing how Eggslut (eggslut.com) has the best so I decided to check it out this weekend. Originally a food truck, Eggslut has found a home at Grand Central Market in downtown L.A. When we got there the line was long. I’m talking mega-long. So long the poor hipster juice dude whose stand was across from it was looking at it longingly wishing it were his line.

My first inclination was to bag it and come back another day. I mean it’s just eggs, right? I love eggs but really what can you do with them that is worth waiting in this line? But since it’s also been my experience that—most of the time—long lines mean great food, I decided to stick it out. And I am glad I did. Bailing and going somewhere else would’ve been a huge mistake.


I don’t know if it’s magic or voodoo but Eggslut takes those “just eggs” and turns them into something amazing. I had the bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. It has hardwood smoked bacon, an over medium egg, cheddar cheese and chipotle ketchup in a warm Portuguese bun.

First off, I have to give them props for not skimping on the bacon. I hate when you get a breakfast sandwich or burrito and they skimp on the bacon. This sandwich has tons of bacon in every bite. The over medium egg was delicious. And the chipotle ketchup is the bomb. I wish I had some of that to carry with me everywhere I go especially for when I need to drown unruly French fries.

The bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. So awesome.

My dining companion had the Fairfax. It has soft scrambled eggs with chives, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and sriracha mayo also in a warm Portuguese bun. The scrambled eggs are without a doubt the best I have ever had. So creamy and the chives add a little something extra to make your palate happy. The sriracha mayo has enough of a kick to add flavor without being overwhelming. 

The Fairfax. Best scrambled eggs you'll ever have.

Now I have to decide what I want to get the next time we go to Eggslut. The Slut sounds intriguing: a coddled egg on top of a smooth potato purée, poached in a glass jar and served with toasty crostini. 

Or perhaps I should try one of their lunch items. The Nita has braised pulled pork while the Gaucho has seared wagyu tri-tip steak. Both sound amazing. And the Eggslut cheeseburger sounds like something a burger fanatic like myself needs to try. Guess I’ll be spending a lot of time at the Grand Central Market.

They're making those amazing eggs. Get down here for yours.


So if you’re looking for an eggstraordinary sandwich (c’mon, you had to see that pun coming), you need to get yourself down to Eggslut. Trust me, it’s worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment