Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

MoCafe

It’s always nice when you stumble upon a great new place by accident. And by that I mean you weren’t planning on finding it. Not that you crashed through their window. Last Saturday I took my dog Gregory to his groomer in West Hollywood and wanted to get some coffee while we waited. The groomer recommended my friend and I try MoCafe and what a great recommendation it was.



MoCafe (mocafela.com) is a charming little place on Santa Monica with a nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Originally, we were only going to get some coffee but when they told us they serve breakfast all day we decided to get something to eat as well. If there is one thing I can’t turn down, it’s breakfast all day. Because having eggs at noon is the perfect way to stick it to the man.


Since we are melting out here in L.A., I got the iced Café Mocha. It had the perfect balance of coffee and chocolate. It was so good I got another one to go for the walk back. I am convinced it was the only thing that kept me from becoming a puddle of my former self.

Iced Cafe Mocha. The perfect blend of coffee
and chocolate.

There were many enticing choices on their breakfast menu but I decided to get waffles. I got the Basic Belgian which is a Belgian waffle topped with powder sugar and whip cream served with a side of butter and syrup. Trying the basic is my way of testing a new place. If you can make great waffles without the bells and whistles then you’re the real deal.

First off I have to give MoCafe mad props for actually giving you a mini-pitcher of syrup instead of a tiny cup. I hate when you get waffles or pancakes at a restaurant and they give you a teeny, tiny cup of syrup that falls like a drop onto your food. It’s like buying a pair of pants that only go down to your knees. Okay, well, that would be shorts but you know what I mean.

Best. Waffles. Ever.

The waffles themselves were amazing. They were light and fluffy. It was like eating a cloud covered in maple syrup. They may be the best waffles I’ve ever had. Trust me, you’ll leggo your Eggo in a heartbeat for these waffles. Next time I think I’ll try the Nutty Nutella, which is topped with—you guessed it—Nutella along with bananas, shaved almonds and powder sugar. Or I may get the Double Trouble, which comes topped with two scoops of the gelato flavor of your choice.

My dining companion got the breakfast quesadilla. It has eggs, turkey bacon, potatoes, and cheddar cheese inside the tortilla of your choice. She chose the spinach tortilla. Like the Belgium waffles, it was huge. It was also quite tasty.


Breakfast Quesadilla with spinach tortilla. Delish.


So now my dilemma is next time I go there do I want to continue with breakfast? And if I do, what do I get? Do I try one of their crepes? The peanut butter crepe sounded tempting. So did the French toast. Or do I go for lunch and try one of the burgers or quesadillas? It’s like a culinary Sophie’s Choice. One thing I am certain of is that I definitely need mo’ of MoCafe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment